Content of this article:
Advantages of modular homes
The first modular houses were used on construction sites and other facilities where permanent residence of workers is required. Most of all they looked like boxes made of iron, wood and drywall, sheathed with insulation - no designer frills, one practicality.
Modular homes are becoming increasingly popular.
However, over time, the architects realized that from such boxes you can easily build entire buildings - just make them up, how the designer is made, solder in the right places, or just get into the slots with special projections. This method of construction is fast, does not require complex preparation, because it began to be used for office buildings and industrial facilities.
Some more time passed before the thought took a step further: to residential buildings.
It is the perfect solution for permanent living.
And it turned out that houses made of modular units have certain advantages over those built from scratch:
- Build speed. This is perhaps the main advantage. The blocks are made in a few weeks, and making them into a single building is a matter of a couple of days of active work. No other house can be obtained so quickly.
- No seasonal restrictions. To pour the foundation, you need warm and dry weather. To build walls and sheathe them with insulation, and then finish, you also need heat and dryness. But the modular house is ready - its walls have been erected, insulated, sheathed, because it can be assembled even in the winter or autumn, during the rainy period.
- Mobility. The finished building can be easily disassembled if it gets bored with time, and rebuilt, in a different order, or moved to another place. Very useful for those who like to move - the house is to go with you to the other end of the country.
- Earthquake Resistance. A modular home will easily withstand a seismic shock if the need arises.
- Permanent quality control. At the construction site, where a building is being built from scratch, workers always have the temptation to do their job not well enough. It does not matter in order to save power or in order to use materials cheaper. At the factory where the modules are assembled, all processes are controlled by the manufacturer, and it is extremely unprofitable for him to have a marriage in his products.
- Low price. It is much cheaper to make a house out of modules and put it on the plot than to build something from scratch there. The price of modules starts from one hundred thousand, and compared with the prices for the construction it is a bit.
No other house can be built so fast.
In addition to the other advantages, you need to consider that you do not need to pay workers, look for where to settle them, arrange a full-fledged construction site from the site and take out construction debris. The modules come ready, they only need to assemble and finish.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: Projects of Finnish houses from glued laminated timber: What is good and how to arrange? (180+ Photos)return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
But, of course, nothing is complete without flaws:
- Life time. In Russia, modular homes are not too common, because there is no exact data on how much they can stand in our cold winters. Specialists are inclined to believe that, due to their peculiarities, a modular home will serve for an average of fifty to seventy years.
- Features of planning. First, it is impossible to make modules in such a way that a house above three floors is formed - the stability will be too doubtful for it to make sense. Secondly, the number of options in which you can make ready-made blocks is limited - often the result differs exclusively finishing.
- Difficult to find a supplier. In Russia, this technology is not yet very common, because finding a company that will do this, having good reviews and producing quality goods can be difficult. Especially in the provinces, where all new trends arrive very late.
Mobile and comfortable homes
- Difficulties with transportation. Make the module easy, even easier to assemble. But it can be difficult to get him to a place. First, the roads - not everywhere their condition allows us to drive large-size equipment. Secondly, the price - will have to hire a crane and other dimensional construction equipment.
- Difficulties with thermal insulation. Despite the use of sandwich panels, which provide good thermal insulation, this may not be enough for the harsh Russian winters. It is necessary to think over an additional layer of insulation and figure out how you will change it, if over time it crumbles and it becomes cold in the house.
- Difficulties with ventilation. The materials from which the modules are made “do not breathe” and this is a big drawback, because in the summer it will be stuffy inside and cool in the winter. To avoid this, it is necessary to pay great attention to ventilation - it should not just be, but be at its best.
It is stuffy in summer and cool in winter
Most of the shortcomings - the difficulties with which to cope and which need to think. There is no way to compensate except service life and problems with suppliers.BoardSpecial attention should be paid to ventilation, heat insulation and transportation problems. Before ordering a modular home, make a plan. Return to menu ↑ Return to menu ↑
Stages of construction
The construction of a modular house takes place sequentially, in stages, each of which has its own pitfalls that must be considered.
Installation takes up to several days
The first stage is the search for a company that will build. Need to:
- find a catalog in which you can familiarize yourself with all the firms in the region and select suitable ones - those that are close enough so that the delivery does not cost an astronomical sum;
- read reviews on the Internet - the more satisfied customers, the greater the likelihood that everything will be fine with you;
- contact representatives of several companies that have the best reviews, and talk with the manager to assess the quality of service and preliminary prices.
Modular frame option
The second stage is planning. Need to:
- together with a representative of the company to make an estimate of the future construction - since you have no experience, you will have to trust a professional;
- pay special attention to thermal insulation and ventilation;
- think about how the technique will get to your site;
- sign a contract.
Pay attention to thermal insulation
The third stage is waiting. At this time you can not influence the process. The company will take care of everything.
Everything will happen consistently:
- in a few weeks - in some cases, it is possible to meet in two or ten days - typical blocks will be manufactured at the factory (if you wanted a non-standard form, the time will be longer);
- when the blocks are ready, they will be brought to the site by large-sized equipment;
- in two or three days, workers will connect all sections into one structure, connect the communications of individual rooms into a single system, and connect it to common networks.
The main thing to get on the basis of quality results
As a result, in a couple of months the company will hand you the finished home and provide documentation on it, where there will be a separate guarantee for each unit.
After it will only carry out finishing work. You too should think of them.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: 265+ Photos of house styles - Facades to be rememberedreturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
Decorating a modular home is difficult in its own way: not all materials and styles will look organically with it.
You can immediately forget about:
- Classic styles. Classics are natural materials, wood and stone, paper wallpaper and paint. Often this is some pomp, underlined cosiness, flowing lines, an abundance of textiles, a feeling of returning in time. Baroque, Gothic, Roman and Egyptian styles - all this is combined with modular houses very so-so. Sharp corners and the absence of the traditional roof of a private house - this form is not suitable to recreate the nineteenth century.
- Eco Styles. The problems are the same - natural materials, traditional form, references to the culture of certain countries in the case of the modules do not apply. You can try the Japanese style, but it will look weird. You can turn to country music, but he, too, will look silly.
Beauty both outside and inside
The main solution for finishing is modern styles. In them, the fact that for classics and eco becomes a problem will easily turn into a highlight.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: Chalet style home interior: How to create an alpine tale? 210+ Design photos from inside and outsidereturn to menu ↑
The perfect style for modular homes - he glorifies the future, functionality, convenience and beauty of advanced technologies. Sharp angles, plenty of light, parading communications and wires, an abundance of technical innovations — the newcomer should have the impression that he is on a spaceship.
- Materials. High-tech is cold and severity, these are shiny surfaces, these are synthetic materials. Finishing should be done using plastic (this is one of the few styles where PVC panels on the walls would be appropriate), metal and glass. Everything else is not welcome.
- Finish. Neutral colors of cold light shades. Matt surfaces are not welcome, it is better to replace them with glossy. There are no special requirements - the main thing is that the walls, the floor and the ceiling should not attract attention and have no accent.
- Furniture. Strict geometric shapes, no intricate ornaments and bends. Best of all, if it is made of synthetic materials - transparent plastic, artificial leather, chrome. Mandatory attribute are the racks of metal and glass. The emphasis on furniture should not be and it is better to refrain from its abundance - high-tech requires a sense of spaciousness.
- Decor. Absent in the usual sense of the word. Hi-tech decoration - technology. It should be the main focus. Plasma TV on the wall. Beautiful brilliant harvester in the kitchen. A complex panel with a lot of buttons in the bathroom - heating, massage, lights.
- Lighting. Natural - plentiful, through large windows. Artificial - also abundant, all the nuances of electricity wiring should be visible. Look good in hi-tech spotlights, spotlights, high-tech lamps.
This style is especially lush decor is not typical
- the black.
You can emphasize the bright pure colors - yellow, red, blue. Exterior finish should also be with the use of metal and glass.BoardThe more high-tech windows and doors in a modular home, the better. You can even put the entrance plastic door, in the doors of which there will be two growth windows.
The more windows and doors, the betterreturn to menu ↑
Calm and harmonious, minimalism is not afraid of sharp corners and flat surfaces, because it is quite suitable for a modular home. It was created, as opposed to the bourgeois luxury of classical interiors. Constructivism and the philosophy of the Japanese style are perfectly combined in it.
- Materials. Mostly synthetic. Simple paint, simple plaster. Sometimes there is the use of untreated wood - for interior flooring, for example. Plastic is not used, glass and metal only in the elements, not for the main finish.
- Finish. The walls are painted or plastered, there is untreated wood on the floor, and the ceiling is also painted or plastered. Light, neutral colors should prevail, no accent that can draw attention to walls, floors and ceilings.
- Furniture. Low, light, light wood or metal. Upholstery in sofas and armchairs monotonous, also light. Sharp lines, simplicity. Smoothness is not welcome, as is too refined, bizarre shape.
- Decor. No abundance of trinkets and accessories - this minimalism categorically does not accept. But you can use the phases of simple forms, abstract figurines, paintings in simple frames, pillows, fresh flowers and fluffy carpet. Bright colors in the design are not welcome - the emphasis should not be.
- Lighting. Natural - plentiful, large windows. Curtains should not be of fabric, but blinds or roller blinds. Artificial - also plentiful, but completely imperceptible. Best built small luminaires that you will not see if you do not draw attention to them.
In the style of minimalismThe minimalist color palette is poor - white, gray, beige and natural colors of materials. Even black is not welcome, and contrasting combinations and bright colors are completely unacceptable.
Exterior finishes should be made on the same principle as discreet colors and no accessories. Large glass doors will look good.BoardThe main decoration of minimalism - fresh flowers. This style is suitable for those who have a hobby - to plant plants in pots on all available surfaces.
Minimalist color palette is poor
It will be interesting to you: REVIEW: Design house with attic (170+ Photos) - Room interior decoration options
Originated in America in the twentieth century, this style is quite original - its first incarnations were located in industrial buildings converted to housing. Therefore, it is characterized by high ceilings (larger modules can be ordered), a feeling of spaciousness and some very specific comfort.
On the floor linoleum or concrete
- Materials. Textured, with natural color - brick (tile can be used as a brick), leather, metal, glass, wood. Painting them is not recommended - the apparent lack of decoration for the loft characteristic feature.
- Finish. A floor - linoleum under concrete or the raw wooden boards. The ceiling is painted in white or in the same color of concrete. The walls are completely brick or with plaster inserts.
- Furniture. Laconic, not numerous. Leather sofa, racks of metal and glass, open hangers instead of a wardrobe. Sharp corners, geometric shape, no smooth lines. Ordinary office chairs look good, and even better - a bar counter, separately illuminated by lamps hanging from the ceiling.
- Decor. Instead of fabric curtains - blinds or roller blinds. The abundance of accessories is not welcome, but one bright accent looks good. The decorations of the loft - exotic figurines, a carpet on the floor, a vase with fresh flowers, an electric guitar on the wall. And the best decorations are items from the host’s work area.
- Lighting. Natural abundant, large windows, as in factory workshops. Artificial is also abundant and not limited by any rules - you can make high-tech lamps that will ride along guides on the ceiling, or you can hang a huge crystal chandelier that will look marvelous due to contrast.
The colors of the loft - any, most importantly, to work correctly with accents, so as not to turn out too bright or too faded. Exterior decor coincides with the interior - plaster under concrete or brickwork.BoardA good solution would be to decorate the house with intricate graffiti with bright, flashy colors and adequate artistic design. And it can be done both indoors, as a bright accent, and outside.
The exterior decor matches the interior.
It will be interesting to you: REVIEW: What are the roofs of houses? Material, painting, insulation - Phased technology work
Bright, creative style, strikingly different from the previous ones, which will make the modular house look spacious, but also very simple. It originated in the sixties of the last century in America, includes playing with colors and light.
- Materials. Mostly bright gloss - acrylic, glass, laminate.
- Finish. Ideally, there are several levels by the floor, with the help of which you can zoning. Niches, multi-level ceilings are welcome.The ceiling is usually painted or covered with plastic panels, the walls are also painted or plastered, laminate is put on the floor.
- Furniture. Most inconspicuous cabinets plus cheap intricate bright furniture. Plastic chairs. A short bright sofa. Bar counter or low tables like coffee tables - even for the role of dinner.
- Decor. Photos - the best decoration of pop art style. This may be advertising posters, posters with popular groups, your own images. Should give a bright accent to the walls. They can complement the abundance of textiles in the main color. Pillows and rugs, carpet on the floor and beautiful curtains, tablecloth on the table.
- Lighting. Bright. The windows can not be made very much too large, but artificial lighting should be abundant. Spotlights. Chrome and plastic. Intricate lampshades with inscriptions, patterns, hieroglyphs. Lamp on the table.
Most inconspicuous cabinets
The colors are bright, almost acidic, but they must either complement each other, or contrast with each other. By the same principle, the outer part is also formed - bright colors and interesting combinations thereof.BoardPerforming a house in the style of pop art, be careful - despite the abundance of accents, despite the prevailing bright colors and a lot of trinkets, everything should be combined. If you are not sure if you can, find someone to consult with and hire a designer.